Telling the Story of Leather
National Leather Collection
Title of role
Main objectives (what outcomes will you want to see from the volunteers)
- Digitisation of the National Leather Collection’s paper archive by producing .JPEG files of all papers, photographs and film negatives.
- A clear desktop system of these files to correlate with the physical storage.
Tasks and activities (what jobs will they do to achieve the above?)
- Use a flatbed scanner to scan paper documents, photographs and film negatives to produce .JPEG files.
- Organise files on the computer in a system that mirrors the physical storage.
- Read and identify documents by adding metadata tags and descriptive information to the files.
Victoria Green, Project Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
2nd Floor Grosvenor Chambers, Grosvenor Shopping Centre, Northampton, NN1 2EW
Flexible; we ask for a commitment of 4-6 hours per week, which can be completed over 1 or 2 days. (Our operating hours are Mon – Thurs, 10:00 – 16:00.)
- Be familiar with the use of a computer and document scanner.
- Good organisation
- Able to work as part of a team
- Be motivated and able to self-manage
We are hosting a volunteer recruitment event at the National Leather Collection on Thursday 5th July from 14:00 - 15:00. This will provide an introduction to the project and an opportunity to meet the Project Manager and ask questions.
- Basic archival/cataloguing training.
- Training on how to use scanner and associated software.
- Continued support provided by Project Manager.
Any other relevant information
The National Leather Collection is fully wheelchair accessible.
The project has a small budget for volunteer expenses, and may be able to refund the cost of bus tickets and public parking.